What is Stacking The Shelves all about?
We are all book lovers and the need to share our enthusiasm is sometimes overwhelming. Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!
If you’re anything like me, you are probably hoarding books and even though you are excited about your latest book arrival, it might be a while before you get to review it and Stacking The Shelves is a good way to express your undying enthusiasm for those titles! (Hosted by Tyngasreviews.com!)
Week 09: ALA Part 1!
So, I attended ALA this year in Anaheim with friends, and it was pretty awesome. My highlights will be in another post, but for now, let me show you what I did get this year. It’s uh, kind of a lot of books, so it’ll be done in parts. This is part 1!
Librarians, before you hit me in my feels, let me just say that:
– I could not afford to attend the entire conference as it was, and I had no idea membership was so cheap until I was enlightened at the end of the conference. (I couldn’t even afford an exhibits plus pass, and I was dying to see the GRRM Imagineering panel, so that should say something.)
– I am currently building CHOC Children’s new inpatient library. Why? Because they can’t afford to, and these kids are sick – like, really sick. This is a children’s hospital, and they have no budget for a library. So I am donating my ARCs that I don’t keep to this library. I am also going to be creating a special collection of my personal favorite books out of these ARCs to go to the oncology ward, dedicated to my best friend, who I lost at age 13 (she was 12) due to cancer.
– I now fully intend to join once I have money scraped up together for ALA and YALSA memberships.
– I had a lot of fun, and I thank you for putting up with blogger shenanigans.
Sorry that had to have a disclaimer due to all of the stuff going on in the blogosphere right now between bloggers, librarians, and so forth but if you have any objections, by all means let me know. My ears are open.
That being said, let’s get to part 2 of the books!
*ALA pub = from publishers given to me at ALA
*ALA bought = bought at ALA from publishers
*Not from ALA = sent by publisher before/after ALA
1. “Professor Gargoyle (Lovecraft Middle School #1)” by Charlie Ward – ALA pub (Thanks, Quirk!)
2. “The Bridge” by Jane Higgins – ALA pub (Thanks, Tundra!)
3. “Iron-Hearted Violet” by Kelly Barnhill – ALA pub (Thanks, LBFYR!)
4. “The Last Policeman” by Ben H. Winters – Not from ALA – (Thanks, Quirk!)
5. “The Dark Unwinding” by Sharon Cameron – ALA pub (Thanks, Scholastic!)
6. “Beta” by Rachel Cohn – ALA pub (Signed! Thanks, Disney-Hyperion!)
7. “Amber House” by Kelly Moore – ALA pub (Thanks, Scholastic!)
8. “The Romanov Conspiracy” by Glenn Meade – ALA pub (Thanks, S&S!)
9. “The Lost Prince” by Selden Edwards – ALA pub (Thanks, Penguin!)
10. “Velveteen” by Daniel Marks – ALA pub (Thanks, Random House!)
11. “The Mephisto Kiss (Mephisto #2)” by Trinity Faegen – ALA pub (Thanks, Egmont USA!)
12. “Poison Princess” by Kresley Cole – ALA pub (Thanks, S&SFYR!)
13. “The Edge of Nowhere” by Elizabeth George – ALA pub (Thanks, Penguin!)
14. “Defiance” by CJ Redwine – ALA pub (Thanks, HarperTeen!)
15. “Scarlet (Cinder #2)” by Marissa Meyer – ALA pub (Signed! Thanks, Macmillan!)
16. “I Swear” by Lane Davis – ALA pub (Thanks, S&SFYR !)
17. “Freakling” by Lana Krumweide – ALA pub (Thanks, Candlewick!)
18. “The Infects” by Sean Beaudoin – ALA pub (Thanks, Candlewick!)
So excited about this batch! So many that I’ve been dying to read – thanks to all of the pubs at ALA for allowing me to sample their wares, and to Quirk for sending me “The Last Policeman”! I think out of this batch, I’m most excited about “Scarlet”, “Velveteen” (FINALLY, I MANAGED TO GET A HARDCOPY YAY!), “Beta”, “Mephisto Kiss”, “Poison Princess”, “Iron-Hearted Violet”, and “The Dark Unwinding”, but I can’t wait to try out all of these great books. And the CHOC Children’s library grows a little more with each book! Yay!
♡ E-ARCs/GALLEYS/ONLINE PUBLISHER READING/E-BOOKS:
2. “Magisterium” by Jeff Hirsch – via NetGalley/Scholastic (Thanks!)
3. “The Kill Order (Maze Runner #0.5)” by James Dashner – via NetGalley/Random House (Thanks!)
4. “Onyx (Obsidian #2)” by Jennifer L. Armentrout – via Entangled Teen (Thanks!)
5. “Death & the Girl Next Door” by Darynda Jones – via NetGalley/St.Martin’s Griffin (Thanks!)
OMG, FINALLY. “STORMDANCER”, YOU ARE MINE. /rubs cheek against And “The Kill Order” – I read the chapter sampler and talked to Dashner about it at ALA, so I’m especially excited for this one! I can’t wait to dive into all of these, believe you me!
1. “Wereanimals” Pin
2. “The Butterfly Clues” silver butterfly bookmark
3. “Cinder” sticker
4. “Cinder” mirror
5. “The Savage Grace” nail polish
6. “Shadow & Bone” nail polish
7. “The Heroes of Olympus” fan
8. “Zombie” keychain
9. “Crewel” bracelet
10. “Beautiful Creatures” pen
11. “The Cavendish Home” cockroach/beetle brooch/pin
12. “Bad Kitty” badge/pin
13. Set of four Figment.Com pins (the little squarish ones)
14. “Why We Broke Up” magnets
15. “Why We Broke Up” comb
16. “The Peculiars” badge/pin
17. “Wrinkle in Time” badge/pin
18. “Anna Dressed in Blood/Girl of Nightmares” badge/pin
19. “Green Lantern” pin
20. Various small pins from Read Now Sleep Later (thanks, guys!)
I think I’m gonna need to do a giveaway with some of this swag, guys. All of it is awesome! Thanks, pubs at ALA!
Stuff I finished & reviewed this week!:
“The Little Woods” by McCormick Templeton
“The Guild: The Knights of Good (The Guild #2)” by Felicia Day
“Diva (The Flappers #3)” by Jillian Larkin
“Don’t You Wish” by Roxanne St.Claire
What leapt onto your shelves this week?