What is Stacking The Shelves all about?
We are all book lovers and the need to share our enthusiasm is sometimes overwhelming. Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!
If you’re anything like me, you are probably hoarding books and even though you are excited about your latest book arrival, it might be a while before you get to review it and Stacking The Shelves is a good way to express your undying enthusiasm for those titles! (Hosted by Tyngasreviews.com!)
Week 13: ALA Part 5!
So, I attended ALA this year in Anaheim with friends, and it was pretty awesome. My highlights will be in another post, but for now, let me show you what I did get this year. It’s uh, kind of a lot of books, so it’ll be done in parts. This is part 1!
Librarians, before you hit me in my feels, let me just say that:
– I could not afford to attend the entire conference as it was, and I had no idea membership was so cheap until I was enlightened at the end of the conference. (I couldn’t even afford an exhibits plus pass, and I was dying to see the GRRM Imagineering panel, so that should say something.)
– I am currently building CHOC Children’s new inpatient library. Why? Because they can’t afford to, and these kids are sick – like, really sick. This is a children’s hospital, and they have no budget for a library. So I am donating my ARCs that I don’t keep to this library. I am also going to be creating a special collection of my personal favorite books out of these ARCs to go to the oncology ward, dedicated to my best friend, who I lost at age 13 (she was 12) due to cancer.
– I now fully intend to join once I have money scraped up together for ALA and YALSA memberships.
– I had a lot of fun, and I thank you for putting up with blogger shenanigans.
Sorry that had to have a disclaimer due to all of the stuff going on in the blogosphere right now between bloggers, librarians, and so forth but if you have any objections, by all means let me know. My ears are open.
That being said, let’s get to part 5 of the books!
*ALA bought = bought at ALA from publishers
*Not from ALA = sent by publisher before/after ALA
1. “Boogiepop at Dawn (Boogiepop #o)” by Kouhei Kadono – Not from ALA (Thanks, Seven Seas!)
2. “Angel’s Ink” by Jocelynn Drake – ALA pub (Thanks, Harper!)
3. “Artemis Fowl #8 (Sampler)” by Colfer – ALA pub (Thanks, Disney!)
4. “The Voyage of Lucy P. Simmons” by Barbara Mariconda – ALA pub (Thanks, Harper!)
5. “The River of No Return (Jaguar Stones #3)” by Jon & Pamela Voelkel – ALA pub (Thanks, EgmontUSA!)
6. “Spellbound” by Cara Lynn Schultz – ALA pub (Thanks, HarlequinTeen!)
7. “Origin” by Jessica Khoury – ALA pub (Signed! Thanks, Penguin!)
8. “Through to You” by Emily Hainsworth – ALA pub (Thanks, HarperTeen!)
9. “The Archived” by Victoria Schwab – ALA pub (Thanks, Disney!)
10. “Falling Kingdoms” by Morgan Rhodes – ALA pub (Thanks, Penguin!)
11. “Croak” by Gina Damico – Not from ALA – via ARC swap (Thanks!)
12. “My Beautiful Failure” by Janet Ruth Young – ALA pub (Thanks, S&S!)
13. “Forget Me Not” by Carolee Dean – ALA pub (Thanks, S&S!)
14. “The Lives We Lost (Fallen World #2)” by Megan Crewe – ALA pub (Thanks, Disney!)
15. “Breathe” by Sarah Crossan – ALA pub (Thanks, HarperTeen!)
16. “Skinny” by Donna Cooner – ALA pub (Thanks, Scholastic!)
17. “The Blood Keeper (Blood Journals #2)” by Tessa Gratton – ALA pub (Thanks, Random House!)
18. “Entice (Violet Eden #2)” by Jessica Shirvington – ALA pub (Thanks, Sourcebooks Fire!)
19. “I Am Not a Serial Killer” by Dan Wells – ALA pub (Thanks, Tor!)
Again, a huge thanks to ALA and all of the pubs that let me sample their wares. Most excited for in this pile? “The Lives We Lost”, “The Archived”, “Breathe”, “Boogiepop”, and “Through to You”. “Origin” was fantastic, btw. Also, thanks to my ARC Swap partners and to Seven Seas for being awesome. I can’t wait to dive into all of these!
♡ E-ARCs/GALLEYS/ONLINE PUBLISHER READING/E-BOOKS:
2. “Beauty Never Dies (Grimm Prequels #3)” by Cameron Jace – free kindle book
3. “Ladle Rat Rotten Hut (Grimm Prequels #4)” by Cameron Jace – free kindle book
Yay for free kindle books! No e-galleys this week, but I had to take advantage of these. I need to catch up on the prequel novellas for the Grimm series, so this is a good opportunity.
1. Various pieces of Swag from ALA, including: Samplers of “The Diviners”, “Days of Blood and Starlight”, “The Kill Order (signed!)”, “Haikasoru’s 2012 line”, “Dear Teen Me”, postcards for “Drowned Cities/Ship Breaker”, “Spindlers”, “Adaptation”, “Manga Man”, “The Dark Unwinding” and so forth.
Love all of these pieces of swag. I collect bookmarks and I love the ones I got here. Ugh, I’m such a hoarder, but I don’t care. Plus, it’s nice to have the samplers – I like to send them as extras in ARC swap packages. 😀
Stuff I finished & reviewed this week!:
“Monstrous Beauty” by Elizabeth Fama
“Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: The Graphic Novel (PREVIEW EDITION)”
“Defiance” by CJ Redwine
“Auracle” by Gina Rosati
“Innocent Darkness” by Suzanne Lazear
“Drain You” by M. Beth Bloom
What leapt onto your shelves this week?